Hess Allomi Vineyard Chardonnay 2018
|Region||California, Napa Valley|
We take care in farming the Su'skol vineyard in order to develop fruit with bright acidity and balance, and to showcase the impact of the moderate temperatures influenced by nearby San Pablo Bay. We choose to focus on the aromatic and delicate musqué clone, which requires a light touch with both oak and malolactic fermentation. In order to highlight this beautiful clonal material, we put 70% of the blend through stainless fermentation, which helps retain fresh flavors of white pear and green apple, as well as preserves the wine's natural acidity. So as not to overwhelm the blend, the remaining 30% sees a light touch of oak-19% new French oak-and only 30% of the overall blend is allowed to undergo secondary fermentation. Aging the wine 9 months in barrel with lees stirred monthly for 4 months helps create a complexity in this wine. Our estate Chardonnay offers elegant aromas of jasmine and honeysuckle, which harmonize with delicious flavors of melon and stone fruits all enveloped in a beautiful finish of baking spice and toasted oak.
The 2018 Chardonnay Allomi opens with pronounced waxed lemons, applesauce, poached pears and crushed cashews scents with hints of baking spices and cedar chest. Medium to full-bodied, the palate brings all the aromas into focus with well-defined stone fruit and toasty flavors and a zippy line of freshness, finishing on a lingering nutty note.
Aged in 30% new American oak, this is a likable, approachable and crowd-pleasing white wine that is perfumed and aromatic in apple and orange blossom. Caramelized apple, sweet oak and brioche rise on the midpalate, leading to a pineapple finish.
Juicy, with broad-textured apple pastry and pear tart flavors that are well-spiced. Light buttery accents extend on the finish. Drink now. 5,000 cases made.